JUST ADDED – FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2021
Choose among Engineer’s seat, Fireman’s seat, or the Jump seat.
- 611 Boiler Wash Experience Ages 14+
About the Experience
Steam locomotives are regulated by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), which requires certain and specific inspections are completed on steam locomotives based on each locomotive’s time in service. One of those required procedures is a 31-day boiler wash.
Please join us in learning about and witnessing this important procedure in maintaining the iconic N&W No. 611 Class J.
A 31-day inspection requires the boiler’s interior to be washed out. The tremendous amount of water used within the boiler on a consistent and regular basis results in mineral solids deposited inside the boiler.
Once 31 service days are completed (or as needed), the boiler must be cooled down and the “wash-out” plugs — found all around the boiler exterior — are removed. Once removed, the sediment is washed out with a fire hose until the boiler’s interior is clean. The wash-out plugs are inspected and reinstalled. The locomotive’s boiler is then ready to be filled with water prior to the next fire up.
Once this very unique experience, the crew will be happy to answer your questions! Plan for an educational, worthwhile, and wet day!
Cafe1832 will provide food for each of the participants.
- Participants must be 14 years old or older.
- Limited to just five (5) people
- Participants must arrive no later than 6:30 a.m. The experience starts promptly at 7:00 a.m. and will last until approximately 4:00 p.m.
- Closed-toe shoes and long pants are required.
- Participants must sign a release before the start of the experience.