Join us in learning about and witnessing the important procedure of boiler washing that is required in maintaining the iconic N&W No. 611 Class J.
- Adults Ages 18+
- Children Ages 10 - 17
611 Daily Routine
Each day starts with a pampering routine that makes sure she’s in perfect health and looking her best. An experienced member of the 611 crew will guide you around the locomotive and take you into the cab while the hostlers and engine washers perform their daily work. You’ll see inside her massive firebox as the fire is being cleaned and built up for the day, and you’ll be able to peek beneath the streamlined shrouding at what is in need of daily servicing.
This is a rare opportunity to see all that goes on behind the scenes with this railroad royal!
Please be aware of the following conditions, which necessitate proper attire for this tour.
- Tours operate rain or shine, and portions of the tour may be conducted outdoors.
- For your safety and comfort, closed-toe shoes are required. Boots or sneakers are strongly encouraged.
- Skirts are not recommended, as participants will be invited to climb into the cab of the locomotive.
- Guests can expect dirt, soot, and steam as part of the entire Hostling Tour experience. Wearing white or khaki-colored clothing is discouraged.
- Due to the length, location, and subject of the tour, children under the age of 10 are not permitted on this tour. Children 10-15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Due to the historical nature and atmosphere of the tour, this experience is not handicap accessible nor conducive for those guests with mobility issues.