Join an experienced member of the 611 crew to learn about the pampering routine that makes sure the 611 is in perfect health and looking her best.
- Engineer's Seat Ages 18+
- Fireman's Seat Ages 18+
- Jump Seat Ages 18+
N&W No. 611 In-Cab Experiences
The Strasburg Rail Road and Virginia Museum of Transportation are providing unique in-cab opportunities that are immersive, hands-on experiences like no other. Choose between the hand-on-the-throttle Engineer’s seat, the Fireman’s seat, or the Jump seat to create the memory of a lifetime!
Participants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid Driver’s License. You’ll be asked to provide the participant’s Driver’s License number at the time of booking.
The Engineer’s Seat
Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to sit in the engineer’s seat and pull open the throttle and feel the power of a steam locomotive at your fingertips? This 30-minute experience puts you in control on the rails of America’s oldest operating railroad. You’ll receive an orientation to the controls and then you’ll be off, taking direction from a certified steam locomotive engineer.
The Fireman’s Seat
You might think that firing a steam locomotive is nothing more than shoveling coal, but there is so much more to it than that. Reading the fire, anticipating the demand for steam and the amount of water needed to make up for what it being used are all skills that take time for a good fireman to develop. This rare 30-minute experience provides the opportunity to serve as a locomotive fireman and will give you a glimpse of what it takes to keep the pressure up. After a short orientation, you will get to follow the instructions of an experienced steam locomotive fireman to see if you have what it takes!
In the heyday of steam railroading, every locomotive cab had an extra seat for the head-end brakeman to ride. We’re offering you the chance to take a ride along as part of our exclusive in-cab experiences. Sit and relax for 30 minutes in the cab and experience the sounds and smells of the engine while the art of steam locomotive operation unfolds before your eyes!
- With the completion of your purchase, you will receive an email containing vital check-in information for your experience. Please look for that email, read it, and keep the information handy.
- All in-cab participants must be 18 years of age or older. Those at the Engineer’s Seat must provide a valid Driver’s License for admittance.
- Participants must arrive no less than 30 minutes and no more than 45 minutes before the scheduled experience.
- For the safety of everyone involved, and to ensure the best possible experience, access to Leaman Place Junction is limited to those with In-Cab Experience tickets and their guests arriving with them in the same vehicle. Because of limited parking at Leaman Place, no more than one (1) car per in-cab participant is permitted.
- Appropriate apparel is required. Suitable clothing consistent with a working railroad includes long pants or overalls, and a long-sleeve shirt. Closed-toe shoes are required. Persons wearing opened-toe shoes will not be permitted in the cab, with no option for refund. Boots are recommended.
- Due to the historical nature of N&W No. 611 J, this experience is not handicap accessible nor conducive for those guests with mobility issues.