COVID-19 Reopen Plan
June 29, 2020
After more than three months, the Strasburg Rail Road has reopened to Guests. We are so excited to be sharing the sights, sounds, and smells of early 20th-century steam railroading again! Whether you’re a repeat Guest or someone visiting the Strasburg Rail Road for the first time, we look forward to safely creating memories with you.
On June 26, 2020, Lancaster County officially moved into the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s “Green Phase” of COVID-19 mitigation. In accordance with the green phase guidelines and our continued commitment to the safety of guests and team members alike, the Strasburg Rail Road has shaped our policies and protocols to provide the best experience for our guests.
Since our charter in 1832, the Strasburg Rail Road has weathered many storms. Our ability to remain open in the midst of this continued health crisis is contingent on both our Guests and Team Members adhering to several new procedures and policies. Safety and cleanliness have always been important to the Strasburg Rail Road, and our Reopen Plan underscores our continued commitment to both our Guests and Team Members. While your visit may look and feel different, the procedures and policies implemented here are made deliberately for your health and safety and for the health and safety of our Team Members who work hard to make your experience at the Strasburg Rail Road memorable.
Before you visit, please review the following procedures and policies. We expect these will be temporary, and we will continue to make phased adjustments as the conditions and guidance change.
Our Promise and Our Expectation
The Strasburg Rail Road is committed to taking any and all necessary steps to maintain the health and safety of both our Guests and Team Members.
We’re doing our part to keep you safe, but we can’t do it alone. The success of our Reopen Plan requires the cooperation of all our Guests. Guests of The Strasburg Rail Road are invitees to private property and, as such, are required to follow all of our policies. In accordance with our current policies, our Guests help us ensure the health and safety of all by agreeing to the following:
- Guests who have been exposed to COVID-19 recently or have symptoms of COVID-19 (including a fever, cough, or shortness of breath) will not visit, and
- Guests who have underlying health conditions or are otherwise concerned about contracting COVID-19 acknowledge their option to not visit the Strasburg Rail Road.
New and Updated Policies Currently in Place
- Access to the Strasburg Rail Road requires pre-purchased tickets or advance reservations. Tickets and pass reservations are only available through strasburgrailroad.com or by calling 866-725-9666.
- Contactless Guest check-in will be conducted by Team Members at our main parking lot entrance. Guests will not check-in at the East Strasburg Station building.
- All Guests will undergo a temperature check before crossing from the parking lot into the Station and mall area. (Similarly, Team Members will undergo a temperature check and Health Assessment before the start of their shifts.) Any Guest or Team Member with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater will be denied entry.
- Face masks are required for all Guests age two (2) years old and older, as well as all Team Members. Guests unwilling or unable to wear a face mask or face shield are asked to refrain from visiting until the face mask requirement is lifted.
- Please note that our First Class and Dining Cars do serve food and beverage on board. As dining establishments operating at 50% capacity, Guests riding in these accommodations are permitted to remove their masks to eat and drink. Face masks are to be worn at all other times.
- Similarly, Guests may remove their face mask when eating or drinking in our outdoor mall area, so long as they are properly distanced from other guests and team members. Face masks are to be worn at all other times.
- In all other areas, face masks are to be worn, including aboard Coach and Open Air accommodations and in retail locations.
- Time between train departures is extended from the traditional 60 minutes to 90 minutes to allow time to thoroughly sanitize the train and to limit Guest density throughout our mall and retail spaces.
- Train capacity is reduced by limiting railcar capacity to no more than 50% of the available seats. Guests will be encouraged to social distance while onboard.
- Our picnic groves, playground, and our Fun Extras amusement rides (Cranky Cars, Pint-sized Pufferbelly, and Pump Car) are closed.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the property and on select rail cars. Our public restrooms remain available for hand washing.
- Cashless transactions are strongly encouraged in our retail locations. Additionally, shields are installed at retail registers to protect both Guests and Team Members.
- Frequent and enhanced cleaning and sanitization is occurring throughout our property and rail cars, with particular focus on high-touch areas.
- Signage throughout the property encourages social distancing, use of face masks, and good hand hygiene.
COVID-19 presents all of us with challenges we never could have imagined, but the Team at the Strasburg Rail Road is thrilled to be welcoming you aboard once again. We are committed to the health and safety of our Guests and Team Members, and with your help, Strasburg Rail Road’s authentic steam railroading experience will continue to provide joy, hope, and inspiration for many generations to come.
Strasburg Rail Road Co.