COVID-19 Reopen Plan
March 8, 2021
Since our charter in 1832, the Strasburg Rail Road has weathered many storms. Our ability to remain open in the midst of this continued health crisis is contingent on both our Guests and Team Members adhering to several new procedures and policies. Safety and cleanliness have always been important to the Strasburg Rail Road, and our Reopen Plan underscores our continued commitment to both our Guests and Team Members. While your visit may look and feel different, the procedures and policies implemented here are made deliberately for your health and safety and for the health and safety of our Team Members who work hard to make your experience at the Strasburg Rail Road memorable. We are so excited to be sharing the sights, sounds, and smells of early 20th-century steam railroading again! Whether you’re a repeat Guest or someone visiting the Strasburg Rail Road for the first time, we look forward to safely creating memories with you.
Before you visit, please review the following procedures and policies. We expect these will be temporary, and we will continue to make phased adjustments as the conditions and guidance change.
Our Promise and Our Expectation
The Strasburg Rail Road is committed to taking any and all necessary steps to maintain the health and safety of both our Guests and Team Members.
We’re doing our part to keep you safe, but we can’t do it alone. The success of our Reopen Plan requires the cooperation of all our Guests. Guests of The Strasburg Rail Road are invitees to private property and, as such, are required to follow all of our policies. In accordance with our current policies, our Guests help us ensure the health and safety of all by agreeing to the following:
- Guests who have been exposed to COVID-19 recently or have symptoms of COVID-19 (including a fever, cough, or shortness of breath) will not visit, and
- Guests who have underlying health conditions or are otherwise concerned about contracting COVID-19 acknowledge their option to not visit the Strasburg Rail Road.
New and Updated Policies Currently in Place
- As America’s oldest continuously operating railroad and Pennsylvania’s first public utility, passenger service will continue. In accordance with the Governor’s order to in-person businesses serving the public, capacity aboard any train car is restricted to 50% of its actual available capacity to allow for sufficient social distancing. Face masks are required of Guests and Team Members at all times, except for the purpose of eating or drinking.
- Trains are cleaned and sanitized between all departures. All train cars are also “fogged” with a sanitizing solution on a daily basis.
- First Class and Dining Cars will continue to offer food and beverage service.
- Trainmen, First Class Attendants, and Car Attendants will aid in reiterating the need for adherence to protocols.
- Hand sanitizer is available in train lavatories and at various locations throughout the Station mall area.
- Contactless Guest check-in will be conducted by Team Members.
- Face masks are required for all Guests age two (2) years old and older, as well as all Team Members. Guests unwilling or unable to wear a face mask or face shield are asked to refrain from visiting until the face mask requirement is lifted.
- Please note that Guests may eat or drink aboard the train, but face masks must be worn at all other times.
- In all other areas, face masks are to be worn, including in retail locations and Cafe 1832 when not eating.
- The time between train departures is extended from the traditional 60 minutes to 90 minutes to allow time to thoroughly sanitize the train and to limit Guest density throughout our mall and retail spaces.
- Train capacity is reduced to allow guests to physically distance themselves while onboard.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the property and on select rail cars. Our public restrooms remain available for handwashing.
- Cashless transactions are strongly encouraged in our retail locations. Additionally, shields are installed at retail registers to protect both Guests and Team Members.
- Frequent and enhanced cleaning and sanitization are occurring throughout our property and rail cars, with a particular focus on high-touch areas.
- Signage throughout the property encourages social distancing, use of face masks, and good hand hygiene.
- Cafe1832 — As a restaurant, Cafe1832 is open for dine-in, curbside pick up, and take-out. Guests should distance themselves from others when inside. Outdoor seating is available, and Guests are required to wear a face mask while ordering or picking up food in the Cafe.
- Retail — The Gift Shops will continue to operate as a retail business. Gift Shops are cleaned and sanitized regularly. Point-of-Sale terminals are sanitized regularly. “Sneeze Guards” are in place at each Gift Shop point-of-sale terminal. Gift Shops have limited their capacity of occupancy.
COVID-19 presents all of us with challenges we never could have imagined, but the Team at the Strasburg Rail Road is thrilled to be welcoming you aboard once again. We are committed to the health and safety of our Guests and Team Members, and with your help, Strasburg Rail Road’s authentic steam railroading experience will continue to provide joy, hope, and inspiration for many generations to come.
Strasburg Rail Road Co.