Capabilities & Equipment
For more than 50 years, the mechanical department of the Strasburg Rail Road has been producing world class work in the steam railroading industry. With more than 250 years of combined experience in steam locomotive repair and design, construction of heritage and historical railroad equipment, the Strasburg Rail Road’s mechanical department is able to get your equipment “on the road.” We will be glad to address any technical questions or problems you may have with your roster. The following pages will provide some insight into the quality we produce, and the challenges we have overcome.
The Three Rs
We do our homework and are well-versed in the Three Rs of railroad preservation.
Restoration – We can perform museum-quality restoration of virtually any piece of equipment. Analysis, research, documentation, preservation of original fabric, and restoration in accordance with your operational or display requirements are things we do every day.
Reproduction – This is the wave of the future so that we can preserve our ever-decreasing number of original artifacts. If you need a piece of equipment reproduced, we can manufacture it for you. We can build exactly as the original, or just to look like the original, using modern techniques. For service or display, we can tailor the job to your budget.
Repair – Whether it is a complete rebuild or minor repairs, an entire piece of equipment or just a component, we can handle it.
Extensive historic research libraries. Professional design and engineering specifications. Complete and accurate FRA Form 4 evaluations and calculations. Material analysis and testing. Certified ASME Section IX welding procedures. Consultation on non-destructive examination and material heat treatment. Complete and accurate equipment condition assessments. Resolution of technical problems. Cast iron repair. Design of welded fabrications to replace castings. Coal specification and analysis. Iron, brass, bronze, and steel casting design and patternmaking. Wooden car design and material specification. Asbestos abatement performed by certified technicians at our site.
Design and Engineering
The Strasburg Rail Road has been the leader in developing innovative solutions to problems encountered in keeping steam locomotives and wooden passenger cars safe, reliable and dynamic, while maintaining the historic substance of the equipment. In order to accomplish this mission successfully, we have an engineering staff that can reach into the past, retrieve accurate historic data, then bring it to life using modern design, tools, and concepts. This unique ability is applied to all of our work, and available for your particular requirements.
Our modern shop, built in 1983 and significantly expanded in 2017, was designed specifically for the specialized work of steam locomotive repair and restoration. Our equipment was acquired with the express intent that each piece provide the most versatility in addressing the repair or construction of any locomotive, car, or appliance. As you review the following list of machinery, please bear in mind that it is our skilled and experienced people who make it exceptionally effective when applied to your particular requirement.
Turning & Boring
- 90″ Niles wheel lathe with quartering attachment, and journal turning capability
- 56″x120″ Summit engine lathe
- 36″ Bullard vertical turret lathe
- 18″x78″ LeBlond engine lathe
- 24″x120″ LeBlond engine lathe
- 18″x42″ Hendy engine lathe
- 17″x45″ Trak CNC lathe with Proto Trak controller
- 16″x30″ Trak CNC lathe with Proto Trak controller
- 15″x36″ Clausing Colchester engine lathe with digital readout
- Underwood portable crankpin turning machine
- Underwood portable cylinder boring bars
- Underwood portable dome and cylinder gasket surface facing machines
Milling, Planing & Grinding
- 36″x120″ Whitcomb Blaisdell planer with milling attachment
- 24″ Cincinnati shaper
- 14″ Morley slotter
- Correa CM-100 vertical-horizontal mill
- Union 4″ horizontal boring mill
- DPMSX5 ProtoTrak CNC bed mill
- #2 Cincinnati universal tool & cutter grinder
- Bridgeport mill with digital readout
- 4’x15″ Carlton radial arm drill press
- 4’x11″ American radial arm drill press
- 15″ Rockwell drill press
- 15″ Delta drill press
- 600 ton Niles wheel press
- 50 ton Nugier hydraulic press
- Three 10 ton overhead cranes
- 2 drop tables
- 18″ Marvel vertical band saw
- Buffalo #1VBR vertical angle bending roll
- STVCNC Sparx510 CNC Plasma Table (1” + depth of cut)
- 3/4″ McCabe flanging machine
- 5 Lincoln arc welders
- Lincoln mig welder
- Miller Syncrowave 350 LX
- 3/4″ Lincoln plasma arc cutting machine
- 4 Oxy-acetylene cutting and welding sets
- Three-head Buffalo electric rivet heater
- Complete inventory of riveting tools: Air hammers, rivet guns, snaps, chisels, air buckers, etc.
- 1/2″ to 1-1/4″ rivet head forming dies
- Flexible staybolt forming dies
- Type “A” superheater unit erecting fixtures
- 28″ American Saw Mill band saw
- 18″ Dewalt radial arm saw
- 10″ Dewalt radial arm saw
- 10″ Powermatic table saw
- 6″ Powermatic joiner