COACH NO. 58
"J. HUBER LEATH"
Coach No. 58 was originally built for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad at a cost of $10,000. In its last years of service at the Reading Railroad, the car served as a brake instructional car. It was retired in 1958 and sold to the Strasburg Rail Road for $1.00.
This was the first car restored and used by the revived Strasburg Rail Road Company. The car was used on the company’s first passenger run on January 4, 1959.
Year Built: 1911
Maker: Harlan and Hollingsworth (Wilmington, DE)
Year Arrived at Strasburg: December 1958
Entered Passenger Service: January 1959
Significance of Name: Named J. Huber Leath in honor of the company’s first Chief Mechanical Officer and one of the invidivuals who helped revived the railroad in 1957-1959.