611 Visits Strasburg – A Reunion of Steam
- Sept. 27-30, 2019
- Oct. 4-7, 2019
- Oct. 12-14, 2019
- Oct. 19-20, 2019
- Oct. 26-27, 2019
- All Ages: $5.00 - $750.00
Experience a once-in-a-lifetime steam train extravaganza as Strasburg Rail Road welcomes the iconic Norfolk & Western Class J 611 steam passenger locomotive to join our own locomotive #475 for five weekends of special events including: whistle blowing, photo sessions, behind-the-scenes tours, family-themed events, and exclusive in-cab opportunities, where passengers can operate and fire the J Class 611 or Strasburg’s Class M #475.
Beauty & Brawn
The reunion event — the first these two historic locomotives have served together in a long time — offers a rare chance to see and explore the only Class ‘J’ passenger locomotive still in existence today. Her simple lines, bullet nose, and Tuscan red stripe make 611 stand out as one of the most beautiful streamlined steam locomotives ever designed.
The special events in September and October include:
- September 27-30 & October 4: A Norfolk & Western Railway Steam Reunion
- October 4-7: Railfan Photography Extravaganza with Lerro Productions
- October 12-14: Rail & Road: A Transportation Evolution
- October 19-20 & 26-27: At the Throttle of Norfolk & Western Steam
Enjoy more fun around the station with the Fun Extras including: The Pint-Sized Pufferbelly (a vintage miniature steam train), and the hand-powered Cranky Cars for little ones.
Special thanks to our event partners:
A Word about Parking
During the 611 Event, a PARKING FEE will be assessed at the Gate for the following event dates: September 27-30, October 4 and October 12-14. These dates for which a parking fee is assessed may expand if event days are added on either side of these respective weekends. The Parking Fee is assessed on the following basis, regardless of whether patrons are parking onsite or at remote parking locations provided by the Strasburg Rail Road:
- $5.00 Parking Fee for any vehicle with advance tickets (online or over the phone) purchased for that same date. All occupants in the vehicle will be granted property access for the day.
- $20.00 Parking Fee assessed for any vehicle for which no tickets were purchased for that respective event date. All occupants in the vehicle will be granted property access for the day, and one (1) voucher will be provided per vehicle valid for up to $15.00 toward the purchase of one (1) train ride or shuttle ride ticket. Voucher is not valid toward the purchase of Hostling Tour, Cab Tour, Shop Tour, Whistle Blow, or other event tickets not already specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
611 has a very busy schedule, including needed time for maintenance and inspections. We cannot guarantee 611 will be outside and available to the public except on the dates for which tickets are available for purchase.
Because of the nature of this 611 event, the Museum Add-on option is not available for any event-specific tickets. Individuals who have purchased event-specific tickets may purchase Museum admission separately at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania’s box office.
We strongly recommend pre-purchasing your event tickets and using the parking options provided by the Strasburg Rail Road. However, for individuals who do choose to walk onto the property during the 611 event, a $5.00 gate fee will be assessed on any date for which parking fees are being assessed for vehicle access (see parking information above).