611 Visits Strasburg – A Reunion of Steam
- Sept. 27-30, 2019*
- Oct. 4-7, 2019*
- Oct. 12-14, 2019*
- Oct. 18-20, 2019*
- Oct. 26-27, 2019
- All Ages: $5.00 - $750.00
Experience a once-in-a-lifetime steam train extravaganza as Strasburg Rail Road welcomes the iconic Norfolk & Western Class J 611 steam passenger locomotive to join our own locomotive #475 for five weekends of special events including: whistle blowing, photo sessions, behind-the-scenes tours, family-themed events, and exclusive in-cab opportunities, where passengers can operate and fire the J Class 611 or Strasburg’s Class M #475.
But first… The exclusive FIRE UP 611 Experience is offered on Tuesday, September 24th. This all-day opportunity to be right there with the 611 crew as they fire up 611 is limited to only 20 people. A hot breakfast, your own firing manual, and the opportunity to create a memory that lasts a lifetime is all included. Details and tickets are available HERE.
Beauty & Brawn
The reunion event — the first that these two historic locomotives have served together in a long time — offers a rare chance to see and explore the only Class ‘J’ passenger locomotive still in existence today. Her simple lines, bullet nose, and Tuscan red stripe make 611 stand out as one of the most beautiful streamlined steam locomotives ever designed.
The special events in September and October include:
- September 27-30, October 4 & 18*: A Norfolk & Western Railway Steam Reunion
- Featuring 45-minute excursions behind separate trains powered by 611 and 475, as well as exclusive Hostling Tours, Cab Tours, and Whistle Blowing opportunities.
- October 5-7: Railfan Photography Extravaganza with Lerro Productions
- Professionally hosted photography sessions featuring 611 alongside N&W 475 or 382,
- October 12-14*: Rail & Road: A Transportation Evolution
- A display of pre-1960’s era land vehicles serves as the backdrop for Hostling Tours, Cab Tours and Whistle Blowing with 611 and 475, along with 15-minute shuttle rides behind 611. Strasburg Rail Road will also operate its standard 45-minute steam train, powered by one of its other locomotives.
- October 19-20 & 26-27: At the Throttle of Norfolk & Western Steam
- Once-in-a-lifetime, 30-minute, immersive opportunities in the cabs of 611 & 475, with Engineer, Fireman, and Jump Seat options offered. (On October 27, Great Western 90 will stand in for 475.)
Enjoy more fun around the station with the Fun Extras including: The Pint-Sized Pufferbelly (a vintage miniature steam train), and the hand-powered Cranky Cars for little ones.
Special thanks to our event partners:
A Word about Parking
The Strasburg Rail Road and Virginia Museum of Transportation are pleased to offer unique opportunities to experience a “reunion” of Norfolk & Western steam locomotives, featuring the iconic Class J 611 operating alongside Strasburg’s 475. This cooperative partnership is not a free event. For the Virginia Museum of Transportation, it is a primary fundraiser.
During the Reunion of Steam events for which 611 is involved, an ENTRANCE or PARKING FEE will be assessed at the Gate for the following event dates:
(These dates for which an entrance/parking fee is assessed may expand if event dates are added.)
The PARKING FEE is assessed on the following basis, regardless of whether patrons park onsite or at remote parking locations provided by the Strasburg Rail Road:
- $5.00 Parking Fee for any vehicle with advance event tickets (online or over the phone) purchased for that same date. All occupants in the vehicle are granted property access for the day. The Parking Fee is charged at the gate on the day of. Cash or credit cards are accepted.
- $20.00 Parking Fee assessed for any vehicle for which NO tickets were purchased for that respective event date. All occupants in the vehicle are granted property access for the day, and one (1) voucher is provided per vehicle valid for up to $15.00 toward the purchase of one (1) train ride or shuttle ride ticket. Voucher is not valid toward the purchase of Hostling Tour, Cab Tour, Shop Tour, Whistle Blowing, or other event tickets not already specified. The Parking Fee is charged at the gate on the day of. Cash or credit cards are accepted.
An ENTRANCE FEE is assessed on the following basis, for patrons walking onto the property:
- $5.00 Entrance Fee assessed for each individual walking onto the property. Pedestrian entry is restricted to an entrance along Gap Road (Route 741), and each individual entering the property at this point is charged $5.00. Cash or credit cards are accepted.
Additional Parking Information
Ample parking is provided by the Strasburg Rail Road, including satellite parking and shuttle service as needed. PLEASE, respect our neighbors’ private property and places of business. Do not trespass or park in lots not designated by the Strasburg Rail Road as event parking. We especially ask that you not park at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, the Choo Choo Barn and the Shops at Traintown U.S.A., or the Red Caboose Motel & Restaurant. These businesses would very much appreciate your patronage, but please don’t park in their lot and then walk to the event.
Wristbands will be issued to those granted property access. Event attendees must be wearing the appropriate wristband or risk being asked to leave.
Parking opens at 6:30 AM each day.
Overnight parking is not permitted.
We have a limited supply of event-specific souvenirs available for purchase through our gift shops. Remember this historic reunion of Norfolk & Western steam with a commemorative O-gauge boxcar or one-of-a-kind apparel. Mail order is available by calling 717-687-7687
Boxcar: $49.99 (Due to unforeseen circumstances at the third-party production plant, the boxcars are delayed until mid-September. We are very sorry about the inconvenience.)
T-Shirts: S-XL = $19.99; XXL = $22.99; XXXL = $23.99
Frequently Asked Questions
611 has a very busy schedule, including needed time for maintenance and inspections. We cannot guarantee 611 will be outside except on the dates for which tickets are available for purchase. Furthermore, due to the industrial and freight operations that occur at the Strasburg Rail Road, and for the safety of our guests, there is no public admittance to our mechanical shop or railroad yard.
Because of the nature of this 611 event, the Museum Add-on option is not available for any event-specific tickets. Individuals who have purchased event-specific tickets may purchase Museum admission separately at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania’s box office.
We strongly recommend pre-purchasing your event tickets and using the parking options provided by the Strasburg Rail Road. However, for individuals who do choose to walk onto the property during the 611 event, a $5.00 gate fee will be assessed on any date for which parking fees are being assessed for vehicle access (see parking information above).