L.O.&S. Motorcar No. 10 In-Cab Experience
- August 23, 2020
- Adult (18+): $100(Motorman's Seat)
- Ages 10+: $50(Passenger Seat)
The Strasburg Rail Road is providing an unprecedented In-Cab opportunity that is an immersive, hands-on experience like no other.
The Motorman’s Seat
Have you ever wanted to know what it is like to drive a one-of-a-kind piece of machinery? The Lancaster, Oxford, & Southern (LO&S) Motorcar No. 10 is the only one in the world, and now is your chance to sit in the motorman’s seat and open the throttle. This 30-minute experience puts you in control on the rails of America’s oldest operating railroad and allows you a unique opportunity to drive a rare piece of transportation history! You’ll receive an orientation to the controls and then you’ll be off, taking direction from a certified LO&S motorman.
Participants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid Driver’s License.
The Passenger’s Seat
We’re offering you the chance to take a ride along in the Lancaster, Oxford, & Southern (LO&S) Motorcar No. 10 as your friend or family member is at the controls! Sit and relax for 30 minutes in the unique motorcar and experience the sounds and smells of what it was like to travel the local rails more than 100 years ago!
Please Note: Suggested ages of LO&S Passengers is age 7 and older and can only be purchased in conjuction with a Motorman’s ticket.
The historic Lancaster, Oxford, & Southern Railroad (L.O.& S.) No. 10 is the last remaining piece of rolling stock from that long-forgotten little railroad and is believed to be the only piece of its kind built by the Sanders Machine Shop in Havre de Grace, Maryland. Constructed in 1915 as a cost-saving measure for the L.O.& S., the car was to intended to replace the railroad’s steam locomotive, therefore reducing both maintenance and crew costs of moving passengers along the line during a time when the small railroad was plagued with financial troubles. Unfortunately, Car No. 10 saw only three years of service on the L.O.& S. The railroad never recovered from its financial difficulties. The nearly 50-year-old line ceased regular operations in 1918 and was sold for scrap in 1919.
Sometime after 1919, Car No. 10 was sold to the Grassee River Railroad in New York State. In remained part of the Grasse River RR until 1960 when it was sold to Winston Gottschalk of the Strasburg Rail Road. The car was extensively restored in 1973, then leased to several other small railroads unti l1984. It returned to Strasburg in 1985 and ran until 1991. After another full restoration between 1991 and 1997, the car reentered passenger service on the Strasburg Rail Road where it has remained in service ever since.
Year Built: 1915
Maker: Sanders Machine Shop (Havre de Grace, MD)
Arrived at Strasburg: April 1962
– With the completion of your purchase, you will receive an email containing vital check-in information for your experience. Please look for that email, read it, and keep the information handy.
– All In-Cab participants must be 18 years of age or older. Those at the Motorman’s Seat must provide a valid Driver’s License for admittance.
– Participants must arrive no less than 30 minutes and no more than 45 minutes before the scheduled experience.
– There is absolutely no photography or videography allowed during the In-Cab experiences. All electronics (e.g. cell phones and cameras) must be stowed away during your time in the cab.