Locomotive No. 89 In-Cab Experiences
- July 12, 2020
- July 19, 2020
- Adult (18+): $400(Engineer's Seat)
- Adult (18+): $300(Fireman's Seat)
The Strasburg Rail Road is providing an unprecedented In-Cab opportunity that is an immersive, hands-on experience like no other. Choose from among the hand-on-the-throttle Engineer’s seat, the Fireman’s seat, or the Jump seat to create the memory of a lifetime!
The Engineer’s Seat
Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to sit in the engineer’s seat and pull open the throttle and feel the power of a steam locomotive at your fingertips? This 30-minute experience puts you in control on the rails of America’s oldest operating railroad. You’ll receive an orientation to the controls and then you’ll be off, taking direction from a certified steam locomotive engineer.
Participants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid Driver’s License.
The Fireman’s Seat
You might think that firing a steam locomotive is nothing more than shoveling coal, but there is so much more to it than that. Reading the fire, anticipating the demand for steam and the amount of water needed to make up for what it being used are all skills that take time for a good fireman to develop. This rare 30-minute experience provides the opportunity to serve as a locomotive fireman and will give you a glimpse of what it takes to keep the pressure up. After a short orientation you will get to follow the instructions of an experienced steam locomotive fireman to see if you have what it takes!
Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
Locomotive No. 89 ran on the Canadian National Railway for most of her life before being sold to the Green Mountain Railroad in New Hampshire. After just a few years on the Green Mountain RR, the locomotive was sold to the Strasburg Rail Road in late Spring 1972. The harrowing experience battling Hurricane Agnes’ flood waters during her journey to Strasburg is chronicled in Images of Rail: Strasburg Rail Road. Today, No. 89 is still an active locomotive at Strasburg and is often the locomotive of choice to pull smaller train consists.
Year Built: 1910
Maker: Canadian Locomotive Works (Kingston, ON)
Wheel Configuration: 2-6-0
Weight: 141,800 lbs.
Arrived at Strasburg: July 1972
– With the completion of your purchase, you will receive an email containing vital check-in information for your experience. Please look for that email, read it, and keep the information handy.
– All In-Cab participants must be 18 years of age or older. Those at the Engineer’s Seat must provide a valid Driver’s License for admittance.
– Participants must arrive no less than 30 minutes and no more than 45 minutes before the scheduled experience.
– There is absolutely no photography or videography allowed during the In-Cab experiences. All electronics (e.g. cell phones and cameras) must be stowed away during your time in the cab.