Locomotive No. 90 In-Cab Experiences
- July 26, 2020
- August 2, 2020
- August 30, 2020
- Adult (18+): $400(Engineer's Seat)
- Adult (18+): $300(Fireman's Seat)
The Strasburg Rail Road is providing an unprecedented In-Cab opportunity that is an immersive, hands-on experience like no other. Choose from among the hand-on-the-throttle Engineer’s seat, the Fireman’s seat, or the Jump seat to create the memory of a lifetime!
The Engineer’s Seat
Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to sit in the engineer’s seat and pull open the throttle and feel the power of a steam locomotive at your fingertips? This 30-minute experience puts you in control on the rails of America’s oldest operating railroad. You’ll receive an orientation to the controls and then you’ll be off, taking direction from a certified steam locomotive engineer.
Participants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid Driver’s License.
The Fireman’s Seat
You might think that firing a steam locomotive is nothing more than shoveling coal, but there is so much more to it than that. Reading the fire, anticipating the demand for steam and the amount of water needed to make up for what it being used are all skills that take time for a good fireman to develop. This rare 30-minute experience provides the opportunity to serve as a locomotive fireman and will give you a glimpse of what it takes to keep the pressure up. After a short orientation you will get to follow the instructions of an experienced steam locomotive fireman to see if you have what it takes!
Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
Locomotive No. 90 has become an iconic symbol of the Strasburg Rail Road. While she may be the youngest steam locomotive on the roster, she is the largest, and to some, she reigns as the grande dame of Strasburg’s fleet of steam locomotives. Built in June of 1924 for the Great Western Railroad by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, No. 90 is one of just two operational Decapod class (2-10-0 wheel configuration) locomotives remaining in America! After spending 40 years of hauling commodities—primarily sugar beets—through the mountains of northern Colorado, she was sold to the Strasburg Rail Road in 1967 for a grand total of just $23,000. As soon as No. 90 arrived in Strasburg over 50 years ago, she instantly became a fan favorite and remains so even today.
Year Built: 1924
Maker: Baldwin Locomotive Works (Philadelphia, PA)
Wheel Configuration: 2-10-0
Weight: 212,000 lbs.
Arrived at Strasburg: May 1967
– With the completion of your purchase, you will receive an email containing vital check-in information for your experience. Please look for that email, read it, and keep the information handy.
– All In-Cab participants must be 18 years of age or older. Those at the Engineer’s Seat must provide a valid Driver’s License for admittance.
– Participants must arrive no less than 30 minutes and no more than 45 minutes before the scheduled experience.
– There is absolutely no photography or videography allowed during the In-Cab experiences. All electronics (e.g. cell phones and cameras) must be stowed away during your time in the cab.