“Ready, Set, Start Your Engines” looks a whole lot different at the Strasburg Rail Road.
See first-hand how our steam locomotives are prepared for the day’s travels to Paradise, PA and back to the historic East Strasburg Station. We railroaders call it hostling the engine. Your small group (of no more than 10) will see the locomotive anatomy and hear some history, fun facts and intriguing trivia. It’s also the only time you can climb aboard the engine and get a very up-close look at the mechanicals or peer inside the firebox. You’ll see the iron horse come alive and chug out of the enginehouse on her way to a day’s work at the Strasburg Rail Road.
Friday mornings, May 8 through October 23 (excluding 5/15, 6/16, and 9/11). Tours begin three hours prior to the first train of the day and last approximately two hours.
Select Saturday mornings, from March 8 through October 24 (excluding 5/16, 6/17, and 9/12). Tours begin three hours prior to the first train of the day and last approximately two hours.
Please be aware of the following conditions, which necessitate proper attire for this tour.
- Tours operate rain or shine, and portions of the tour are conducted outdoors.
- For your safety and comfort, closed toe shoes are required. Boots or sneakers are strongly encouraged! High heels are strongly discouraged.
- Skirts are not recommended, as participants will be invited to climb into the cab of the train.
- Dirt, soot and steam are part of the entire experience, so expect a few “freckles” at the end! (Please keep this in mind when wearing white or khaki colored clothing especially.)
- You are welcome to bring a water bottle along to stay hydrated during the tour.
Due to the length, location and subject of the tour, children under the age of 10 are not permitted on this tour.
Is your group interested in experiencing the Hostling Tour during your visit?
We can work with your group to accommodate up to 20 guests. However, to ensure a pleasurable and safe experience, advanced arrangements must be made. Please call 717-687-6193 to discuss your group needs.