COACH NO. 96
Constructed by the Pullman Company in 1896 for the Boston & Maine Railroad, this is one of two 19th Century passenger cars still in use at the Strasburg Rail Road. Beginning in 1967, Coach No. 96 was sold to Clark’s Trading Post in Massachusetts. In 1994, the car came to Strasburg, PA.
Year Built: July 1896
Maker: Pullman Company
Length: 66 feet, 11 inches
Weight: 66,600 lbs.
Year Arrived at Strasburg: June 1994
Entered Passenger Service: 1996
Significance of Name: Named William McFarlan in honor of a Strasburg Rail Road Shareholder and part-time employee whose estate left the railroad a non-restricted inheritance. That money was used to restore this coach to passenger operations.