PARLOR CAR NO. 88
Strasburg Rail Road’s First Class Parlor Car is named Marian in honor of the company’s first corporate secretary and the wife of William M. Moedinger, the third president of the tourist company.
Upon entry, the car takes the guest back in time with its early 20th Century elegance. Built by the Laconia Car Company, it was used on the Boston & Main Railroad until 1957. The Strasburg Rail Road purchased the car in January of 1971 and used it as the Pequea Creek passenger coach. In 1988, the Strasburg Rail Road transformed the car into the top-of-the-line luxury railcar that you see today.
Year Built: December 1910
Maker: Laconia Car Company
Length: 68 feet
Weight: 90,600 lbs.
Year Arrived at Strasburg: January 1971
Significance of Name: Named “Marian” in honor of the Strasburg Rail Road Company’s first corporate secretary and the wife of William M. Moedinger, the third president of the tourist company. Marian Moedinger was one of the original 24 shareholders who helped revive the railroad in 1958 and save it from abandonment.